Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL8551
- Site Name: Cakemuir Castle
- Grid Reference: 341185 659113
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Mid 16th century tower with 18th century and later additions.
- Description: NT45NW 1.00 41185 59114
NT45NW 1.01 41251 59073 Walled Garden
NT45NW 1.02 41270 59106 Stables
NT45NW 1.03 41265 59090 Gardeners Cottage
For Queen Mary's Tree, see NT45NW 2.
(NT 4126 5909) Cakemuir Castle (NR) (Restored)
OS 6" map (1957)
(1)-(4) Cakemuir Castle is a mid-16th c tower, oblong on plan, 30' E-W by 24 1/2' and four storeys high. It has a turret stair projecting from the N wall. The only provision for defence was a series of gun-loops on the fourth floor, now built up. On the E gable is a heraldic shield, removed from above the original entrance, bearing the Wauchope arms: Adam Wauchope of Cakemuir is on record in 1565. Tranter notes that there have been additions, 18th c and later, to the W side, and that the whole building is still occupied and in excellent condition. Bell alleges that Cakemuir Castle superseded an earlier fortalice, named Black, Castle (NT45NW 11) on the opposite side of the burn.
RCAHMS 1929, visited 1915; N Tranter 1962; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887; Bell 1893
(5) NT 4120 5912. The proprietor of Cakemuir Castle, Mr M M Scott, suggests that 'restored' should be retained with the published name as the tower was considerably restored about 1949. It remains as described above.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 15 December 1964
(5) Cakemuir Castle is occupied and in excellent condition.
Visited by OS (SFS) 12 August 1975.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 13/02/2004
Owner: M M Scott.
Mid 16th century tower with 18th century and later additions.
I G Lindsay Collection W/352
NMRS REPORT DATE: 18/12/2003
(6) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description:
Circa 1564. 4-storey and cap house, rectangular-plan tower house; 1761 wing adjoining with later 19th century wing; Scottish Baronial additions. Modernised by Rowand Anderson Paul and Partners, 1926, and Neil and Hurd, circa 1952. Coursed brown stone, ashlar surrounds. Corbelled parapet, enlarged windows.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: tower to left: blind wall, gun-loop to ground and 3rd floor, corbelled parapet, circular turnpike stair tower at NW corner (gun loop and small window near top) terminating in square cap house; 1761 wing: 2 ?-storey with later Baronial additions; timber door with glazed panel to left; single storey crowstepped gable entrance porch with inset Wauchope armorial panel above door, window to left return; projecting stone bipartite window above; stone dormer with finial breaking eaves. Round tower, corbelled, terminating in square crowstep gabled cap house in re-entrant angle; windows at each floor, window and gabled dormer to left return. Later 19th century addition: 1 ?-storey, irregular fenestration and distribution of gableheads and dormers; small gabled porch, door to right return; additional flat-roofed fuel store adjoining.
NE ELEVATION: blank wall, off centre window to ground and 1st floor left, gun loop to 3rd floor left; corbelled parapet connecting 2 watch-houses, crow-stepped gable, stone gablehead stack with flagpole.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: 1564 tower to right: paired slit windows to ground floor; single windows to 1st and 3rd floor; paired windows to 2nd floor; gun loop to 3rd floor left; continuation of corbelled parapet above; crowstepped gable, stone gablehead stack, 2 cans; 3 single windows to left return. 1761 wing to left: 2?-storey, 4-bay regular fenestration; 2-leaf glazed door to ground floor right; later stone gabled dormers breaking eaves, stack at ridge between 1st and 2nd bay left; 3-storey single bay to left return, gablehead stack, no cans; rear adjoins 19th century wing.
SW ELEVATION: irregular sloping elevation; primarily 1 ? -storey: pair of windows with smaller window to left, 2 dormers breaking eaves almost above, small chimney to wallhead; modern piended single storey harled extension to ground floor centre; single window to right; slated mansard with bipartite window above right; further dormer to attic.
Enlarged windows: 2-pane, 4-pane, 9-pane and 12-pane timber sash and case. Later 19th century replacement piended slate roof, modern replacement cast-iron rainwater goods; parapet walkway drained by projecting stone spouts, one misaligned to avoid dripping in front of the Queen's Room.
INTERIOR: panelled timber shutters; ornate plaster cornices; inscribed beams in study; coved ceiling in drawing room; timber panelled Queen Mary's room; decorative tiled floor to hall and stone turnpike stair in circular tower.
WALLED GARDEN: random rubble wall with shaped stone copes forming rectangular garden and boundary to rear of the property.
STABLE RANGE (INCORPORATING GARDENER'S COTTAGE): L-shaped stable range: random rubble, timber stable doors; 8-pane timber sash and case windows; slate roof. Single storey, 3-bay cottage: coursed rubble, central door, 8-pane sash and case windows, skew gabled.
J Blaeu, LOTHIAN AND LINLITQVO (1654) showing Kackmoore; James Hunter, FALA AND SOUTRA (1892) p17; Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland, INVENTORY FOR MIDLOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN (1929) pp51-52; Lesley Scott Moncrieff, SCOTLAND'S MAGAZINE "THE HOUSE OF CAKEMUIR" (1956) pp15-17; H Fenwick SCOTLAND'S CASTLES (1976) pp 71-73; C McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978) p129; J Thomas MIDLOTHIAN (1995) pp122-123.
Cakemuir Castle is situated 4 miles SSE of Pathhead on the E side of a secluded valley near to Cakemuir Burn. Built for Adam Wauchope, the 5th son of Gilbert Wauchope of Niddrie, the house was used in 1567 by Mary, Queen of Scots who was fleeing danger dressed as a page. She rode from Borthwick to Cakemuir across the moors and a room still bears her name. She then went on to Dunbar. The tower house is roughly rectangular, with a turret and an 18th century W wing with later additions. There were very few defensive features, only a series of (now infilled) gunloops on the fourth floor and two roofed watch-boxes flanking the west gable chimney. A stone seat was provided in each for the occupants to view the countryside to the south and east. The tower has undergone many renovations, the SW wing was added in 1761 for Henry Wauchope, Secretary to Lord Bute. The last major additions were carried out in the 19th century for George Wright of Edinburgh who used it during the summer months. In 1915 it was noted the house was in good repair and now re-occupied, although it had been ruinous previously. Timber floors were re-laid between each storey, the parapet restored and the structure re-roofed at a shallower pitch than the original. It has since been modernised and resold. It has still a surviving mature walled garden with timber framed glass house, gardener's cottage and stable range (to SE of main house).
(7) At some time between July and October 2006, CFA Archaeology undertook a Level 2 standing building survey at Cakemuir Castle, prior to the construction of an extension on the west elevation. The castle dates to the mid 16th century and was enlarged during the 18th, 19th and mid-20th centuries.
At the same time, CFA Archaeology undertook an evaluation at Cakemuir Castle, prior to the construction of the extension on the west elevation. A single trench, measuring 3.4m by 1.5m, was excavated within the footprint of the proposed extension. No archaeological remains were revealed within the trench.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: Cressey, M. 2006f. 'Cakemuir Castle, Midlothian (Crichton parish), standing building survey, evaluation', Discovery and Excavation, Scotland, 7, 2006, 105, Dorchester. 105.
- Bibliographic reference: Scott-Moncrieff, L. 1956a. 'The house of Cakemuir', Scotland's Mag Vol. 52 Part 6 1956, p.15-17.
- (1) Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1929. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Tenth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the counties of Midlothian and West Lothian. 51-2, no.58.
- (2) Bibliographic reference: Tranter, N. 1962-70. 'The fortified house in Scotland'. Vol.1, 96.
- (3) Bibliographic reference: MacGibbon and Ross, D and T. 1887-92. The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. Vol.2, 55-8.
- (4) Bibliographic reference: Bell, J M. 1893. The castles of the Lothians. 68-70.
- (5) Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Site Visit.
- (6) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.
- (7) Unpublished document: Cressey, M. 2006. Cakemuir Castle, Midlothian: Standing Building Recording and Archaeological Evaluation.
- (8) Digital archive: Cressey, M. 2006. Cakemuir Castle, Midlothian: Standing Building Recording and Archaeological Evaluation.