Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Cakemuir Castle, Queen Mary's Tree
- HER number: MEL8551
- HER number: MEL8557
- Site Name: Cakemuir Castle, Queen Mary's Tree
- Grid Reference: 341170 659109
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Site of tree, now felled, named after Queen Mary in 1567
- Description: NT45NW 2 4117 5911
See also NT45NW 1.
(NT 4117 5911) Queen Mary's Tree (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map (1957)
A stump of a beech tree, cut to about 6' because of decay, but this has not stopped it from mouldering. It was supposedly named when Queen Mary was at Cakemuir Castle (in 1567).
Name Book 1853
This tree has been felled, only about 6" of its trunk remaining above ground.
Information from OS Reviser (MR) 12 December 1953
All that remains of this tree are grass-covered roots.
Visited by OS (SFS) 12 August 1975.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 14/02/2000
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Name Book (County). Original Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No.56, 17.