Border - Crawford - Inveresk (?)
- HER number: MEL4960
- HER number: MEL8640
- Site Name: Border - Crawford - Inveresk (?)
- Grid Reference: 320000 659999
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Road (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Late Iron Age, Prehistoric, Roman)
- Description: NT26NE 75 unlocated RR 1.
Formerly RR 7g.
The course of the Roman road is uncertain NE of the parts recorded on NT26SW 59; it may originally have led to the fort at Elginhaugh (NT36NW 61); in the Antonine period the ultimate goal could have been Inveresk (NT37SW 8).
I D Margary 1957; G S Maxwell 1983; RCAHMS 1988.
No trace. The straight stretch of modern road (A701) from sheet edge (NT 2650 6500) to Straiton (NT 2727 6659) may possibly be on the line.
Visited by OS (BS) April 1975.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 17/08/2004
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1988. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Midlothian (prehistoric to early historic), Midlothian District, Lothian Region. 26, no. 108.
- Bibliographic reference: Maxwell, G S. 1983c. 'Recent aerial discoveries in Roman Scotland: Drumquhassle, Elginhaugh and Woodhead', Britannia Vol. 14 1983, p.167-81. 176.
- Bibliographic reference: Margary, I D. 1957. Roman roads in Britain: north of the Foss Way - Bristol Channel (including Wales and Scotland) Vol. 2. Vol 2, 198.