Border - Crawford - Inveresk (?)
- HER number: MEL4960
- HER number: MEL8641
- Site Name: Border - Crawford - Inveresk (?)
- Grid Reference: 330000 659999
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Road (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Late Iron Age, Prehistoric, Roman)
- Summary: Possible location of Roman road
- Description: NT36NW 125 Unlocated RR 1.
Formerly RR 7g.
The course of the Roman road is uncertain NE of the parts recorded on NT26SW 59; it may originally have led to the fort at Elginhaugh (NT36NW 61, at NT 321 673); in the Antonine period the ultimate goal could have been Inveresk (NT37SW 8, at NT 342 720).
I D Margary 1957; G S Maxwell 1983; RCAHMS 1988.
No trace, and nothing to indicate a probable line.
Visited by OS (BS) April 1975.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 17/08/2004
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1988. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Midlothian (prehistoric to early historic), Midlothian District, Lothian Region. 26, no. 108.
- Bibliographic reference: Maxwell, G S. 1983c. 'Recent aerial discoveries in Roman Scotland: Drumquhassle, Elginhaugh and Woodhead', Britannia Vol. 14 1983, p.167-81. 176.
- Bibliographic reference: Margary, I D. 1957. Roman roads in Britain: north of the Foss Way - Bristol Channel (including Wales and Scotland) Vol. 2. Vol. 2, 198.