'dere Street': Border - Newstead - Elginhaugh
- HER number: MEL4959
- HER number: MEL8644
- Site Name: 'dere Street': Border - Newstead - Elginhaugh
- Grid Reference: 344990 659299
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Road (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Late Iron Age, Prehistoric, Roman)
- Summary: Probable route of Dere Street, Roman road
- Description: NT45NW 25 from 4499 5930 to 4457 5999. RR 2.
No trace of the Roman road across this sheet. It presumably followed a course similar to that of the later track which passes Soutra Aisle (NT45NE 1), and descends towards the Dean Burn. It would then have continued N approximately along, or parallel to, the course of the A68. (Crossing points at sheet edges are conjectural.)
RCAHMS 1956; I D Margary 1957; RCAHMS 1988.
NT 4499 5930 - NT 4484 5962 No trace.
NT 4484 5962 Break in steep natural slopes above the Dean Burn.
NT 4484 5962 - NT 4457 5999 No trace.
Visited by OS (JTT) December 1964.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 17/08/2004
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1988. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Midlothian (prehistoric to early historic), Midlothian District, Lothian Region. 25, no. 101.
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1956. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. An inventory of the ancient and historical monuments of Roxburghshire: with the fourteenth report of the Commission. Vol. 2, 473, Appx. A.
- Bibliographic reference: Margary, I D. 1957. Roman roads in Britain: north of the Foss Way - Bristol Channel (including Wales and Scotland) Vol. 2. Vol. 2, 215.