'dere Street': Border - Newstead - Elginhaugh
- HER number: MEL4959
- HER number: MEL8646
- Site Name: 'dere Street': Border - Newstead - Elginhaugh
- Grid Reference: 330000 659999
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Road (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Late Iron Age, Prehistoric, Roman)
- Summary: Possible location of Roman road
- Description: NT36SE 66 Unlocated RR 2.
No trace of any Roman road-work across this sheet. It presumably followed a course approximately along, or parallel to the modern A68 public road, passing the temporary camps at Pathhead (NT36SE 3 and 17). After crossing the River Tyne at Ford, near the temporary camp at Woodhead (NT36SE 18), Hardie, quoting a 12th-century charter of Newbattle Abbey, considers that it coincides with the straight stretch of modern road that runs NW towards Dalkeith (NT 3887 6440 - NT 3756 6499). This suggestion is accepted by Margary and RCAHMS.
R P Hardie 1942; RCAHMS 1956; I D Margary 1957; RCAHMS 1988.
Visited by OS (SFS) 15 April 1975.
NT 391 645 Deep cutting - river fordable
Information from OS (SPS) April 1976
NMRS REPORT DATE: 17/08/2004
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1988. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Midlothian (prehistoric to early historic), Midlothian District, Lothian Region. 25, no. 101.
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1956. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. An inventory of the ancient and historical monuments of Roxburghshire: with the fourteenth report of the Commission. Vol. 2, 473, Appx. A.
- Bibliographic reference: Margary, I D. 1957. Roman roads in Britain: north of the Foss Way - Bristol Channel (including Wales and Scotland) Vol. 2. Vol. 2, 215.
- Bibliographic reference: Hardie, R P. 1942. The roads of medieval Lauderdale. 98-103.