'dere Street': Border - Newstead - Elginhaugh
- HER number: MEL4959
- HER number: MEL8647
- Site Name: 'dere Street': Border - Newstead - Elginhaugh
- Grid Reference: 337560 664999
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Road (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Late Iron Age, Prehistoric, Roman)
- Description: NT36NE 75 from 3756 6500 to 3500 6673 RR 2.
Hardie, followed by Margary and RCAHMS, quoting a 12th-century charter of Newbattle Abbey, considers that Dere Street coincides with the straight stretch of modern road that runs NW towards Dalkeith from Ford (NT 389 644). Another Newbattle charter mentions Dere Street as passing Cowden Bog (NT 359 667).
R P Hardie 1942; RCAHMS 1956; I D Margary 1957; RCAHMS 1988.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 17/08/2004
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1988. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Midlothian (prehistoric to early historic), Midlothian District, Lothian Region. 25, no. 101.
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1956. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. An inventory of the ancient and historical monuments of Roxburghshire: with the fourteenth report of the Commission. Vol. 2, 473, Appx. A.
- Bibliographic reference: Margary, I D. 1957. Roman roads in Britain: north of the Foss Way - Bristol Channel (including Wales and Scotland) Vol. 2. Vol. 2, 215.
- Bibliographic reference: Hardie, R P. 1942. The roads of medieval Lauderdale. 98-103.