- HER number: MEL8996
- Site Name: Side Moss
- Grid Reference: 328469 655611
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Sheep Fold
- Ridge And Furrow
- Field Boundary
- Summary: Cropmarks of sheepfold, quarry, and rig, possibly 19th century or earlier
- Description: NT25NE 27 2856 5556
(1) (2) This sheepfold and quarry, both of which are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire 1854, sheet 18), have been recorded on oblique aerial photography (RCAHMSAP 2005) lying on Side Moss. There is rig around the sheepfold and quarry.
Information from RCAHMS (KMM) 5 September 2005
(3-4) Between May and October of 2012, CFA Archaeology undertook a desk-based assessment and walkover field survey as part of work for an EIA for a proposed wind farm at Mount Lothian.
The sheepfold and quarry lie outwith the study area. Field survey identified slight traces of rig and furrow cultivation (CFA site 56) at the southern extent of the recorded area of rig. The visible rigs area described as measuring 0.2m-0.3m high with a wavelength of 5m. A denuded section of turf bank, 30m in length by 0.7m-0.8m wide by 0.2m high was found bordering the south-western extent of the remains of the rig and furrow.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- (1) Map: Ordnance Survey. 1855. Haddingtonshire. 1:10560.
- (2) Aerial Photograph: RCAHMS. Various. RCAHMSAP 2005.
- (3) Unpublished document: CFA. 2014. Mount Lothian Wind Farm Environmental Statement January 2014: Cultural Heritage chapter 9. site 56, Appendix 9.1.
- (4) Digital archive: Wind Prospect. 2014. Mount Lothian Wind Farm Environmental Statement.