Maggie Bowies, Farm Track Underpass, Borthwick
- HER number: MEL9422
- Site Name: Maggie Bowies, Farm Track Underpass, Borthwick
- Grid Reference: 338436 660234
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Railway Bridge (19th Century, Post Medieval)
- Gravel Pit (19th Century, Post Medieval)
- Summary: Railway bridge over farm track
- Description: NT36SE 142.06 38436 60234
Short railway bridge over a farm access track, depicted on the current OS 1:2500 scale map. The bridge is shown on the hsitorical OS maps about 25m S of a building annotated 'Maggie Bowies'.
(1-2) A desk-based assessment and field survey were undertaken along the route of the proposed Borders Railway in 2009 by CFA Archaeology, in preparation for a cultural heritage management plan. The work recorded Overbridge 35, surviving now only as stone abutments. Field survey also recorded that gravel beds are depicted adjacent to the bridge on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition map, which may be borrow pits associated with railway construction.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Jones, C & Haines, K. 2009. Cultural Heritage Management Plan: Final Report V1.
- (2) Unpublished document: Jones, C & Haines, K. 2009. Gazetteer of Cultural Heritage Sites and Monuments along the Route of the Borders Railway Project, Final Report V1. Site 151.