Lawfield Tower, Mayfield
- HER number: MEL9520
- Site Name: Lawfield Tower, Mayfield
- Grid Reference: 335189 665520
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Summary: Site of tower
- Description: (1) The site of a 'Tower' is marked on Kirkwood's map of the area around Edinburgh (1817) to the west of Lawfield Farm. Greenwood, Fowler, and Sharp's map of Edinburghsire (1828) also shows a building, marked as 'Tower', in the same position. A 19th century estate plan which includes the lands of Lawfield Farm has the field names 'East Tower' and 'West Tower' in this area, although the tower itself is not marked. The OS 2nd edition map of 1894 labels the tower as 'Lawfield Tower'. Aerial photography shows that this tower was demolished and the area extensively levelled between 1953 and 1963.
In February 2005, Headland Archaeology Ltd undertook a desk-based assessment and walkover survey at the proposed site of a new primary school in Mayfield, Midlothian. The desk-based assessment identified the site of the tower marked on historic maps, but no traces of the structure were visible on the ground. This area is currently rough ground overgrown with bracken and a phone mast.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Dingwall, K. 2005. Proposed Primary School at Mayfield, Midlothian: Results of a Desk-Based Assessment and Walkover Survey.