Pickle Dirt / Salters Road, Boundary
- HER number: MEL9532
- Site Name: Pickle Dirt / Salters Road, Boundary
- Grid Reference: 334465 669079
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Boundary Ditch (18th Century, Post Medieval)
- Summary: Boundary ditch, 18th century or earlier
- Description: (1) In May to July 2006, CFA Archaeology Ltd undertook excavation of part of a substantial boundary ditch running from Pickle Dirt to Salters Road, and which forms the current county boundary. In the sections excavated, the ditch had been completely in-filled, but 30m to the west it survives as a broad ditch with a south facing wall retaining its north side.
The boundary is shown on an estate plan of 1718, and on Roy's map of c. 1750 it is shown as more substantial than other boundaries nearby. It has been suggested that this could represent part of the original Medieval park boundary.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Article in serial: Cameron, K; Cressey, M; Duwell, A; Mitchell, S; Rees, A; Strachan, R and Suddaby, I. 2010. Excavations on the Route of the Dalkeith Northern Bypass, 1994-95 and 2006.
- (1) Unpublished document: Suddaby, I et al. 2007. A68 Upgrading; Dalkeith Northern Bypass, East Lothian / Midlothian: Archaeological Evaluation, Excavations, & Designed Landscape Recording. 15-16.