Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
- HER number: MEL9564
- Site Name: Melville Nurseries
- Grid Reference: 331494 667443
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Excavation revealed pits, a Flavian field system, and three Roman ovens
- Description: (1) In March 2007, AOC Archaeology Group undertook an evaluation at Melville Nurseries, Dalkeith. The evaluation identified two parallel linear ditches, possibly representing a trakcway, and the northern edge of a possible roundhouse. This led to further excavation (see EEL 436).
(2-3) Following on from evaluation (EEL435), AOC Archaeology Group undertook an excavation at Melville Nurseries, Dalkeith, in April 2007. The excavation revealed 33 pits of probable prehistoric date, three Roman ovens, and a linear feature consisting of two parallel ditches. The linear features are interpreted as a possible field system or stock enclosure, related to the post-military use of the Roman auxiliary fort at Elginhaugh.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Lynchehaun, S. 2007. Melville Nurseries II, Dalkeith: Evaluation.
- (2) Unpublished document: Lynchehaun, S. 2007. Melville Nurseries II, Dalkeith: Excavation.
- (3) Unpublished document: Lynchehaun, S. 2008. A possible Flavian field system at Melville Nurseries, Lasswade, Midlothian.