Spott lies close to Dunbar and the Lammermuir Hills. Archaeology and aerial photography have revealed a good number of Iron Age settlements in the area. The archaeology of the area indicates that the earliest inhabitants were farmers and in this respect not much has changed as Spott remains primarily a farming economy.
Local activities are centred on the village of Spott which has been home to a number of groups including Scottish Womens Institute, Youth Clubs and Cadet corps. Music and dancing were popular pastimes with dances commonly being held at the village hall. Sports too were popular with indoor bowling and boxing on offer.
Until 1969 there was a school in Spott. Along with a number of other rural schools, this was closed by the Scottish Education Department and children were moved to West Barns or Dunbar for education.
The school building is now used as the Spott Community Centre. This is a focal point for the community with meetings of local groups and events held there.
Doon Hill is where the Scottish Army camped before the battle of Dunbar and Spott House at its foot is where Cromwell is reputed to have stayed after the Battle.
The Herring road passes through Spott. This historic trading route now affords glorious views across the County.
As beautiful as it is Spott also has a dark past In 1570 the Minister there, John Kello, murdered his wife and calmly proceeded to deliver his sermon. He was later executed in Edinburgh.
Spott was also the location of some of the last witch burnings in Scotland with the kirk session records reporting `Many witches burnt on the top of Spott loan.’
Fourth Statistical Account – https://el4.org.uk/parish/spott/